Monday, June 8, 2009

Continue Growing

Today I want to talk about character and maturity. I read in the book " 100 Days of Character for Men" that character building never happens overnight. When it comes to building our character and maturing, it is a life long journey. As a Christian I believe I should continue to grow in love and in the knowledge of my Savior as long as I live. It sounds easier than it really is. Our lives and our characters are developed by the countless thoughts and choices we make everyday, we make decisions that can strengthen our characters or not. In my life I have made horrible choices as a child, as a teen, as a youong adult, and even as an adult. The thing which I am thankful for is the understanding I gained from each choice I made. The Bible states, "when I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child does but when I grew up I put away childish things. (1 Corinthians 13:11 NLT)" When you look at the Scripture and break it down it shows a progression in the maturation process. Simply put, as we grow physically we should also go mentally and spiritually; the maturation process of our mind, body and soul. Some people never grow and continue to make childish decisions as adults. My friends that is not a good thing! God has commanded us to grow spiritually and to get understanding. In (2 Peter 3:18 NKJV) the Bible states, "but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen." In (Proverbs 4:7 NKJV) the Bible is very clear when it comes to getting wisdom and understanding. It is here the Bible states, "Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding." There are a couple of things I'm trying to share today. The first, I believe is that we are all maturing whether we want to or not; and maturity is not achieved overnight. Second, the choices we make help us to mature and build our character or retards us and tears down our character. Third, while we are going through the maturation process we are to gain wisdom, knowledge and understanding. My friends when we go through tough times and situations that seem impossible, understand it is part of the maturation process learn from it. The wisdom and understanding you gain from your trials will become the knowledge you share with someone else. Remember the old saying, "Each One Teach One!" We are here to share with one another and encourage one another. There is a song that I recently put in heavy rotation in my CD changer. It talks about growth and the hook goes like this: "I'm not perfect but I'm trying. When you needed me there's a few times I didn't come running. I'm not perfect but I'm working. When you wanted more I would give you less and Lord I'm sorry. I'm not perfect but I'm getting closer the more I know you. Please give me another chance. I'm not perfect but I'm better than I was on yesterday." This song is by J. Moss and it is called "Perfect". This describes the spiritual maturation process to a tee. Remember, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.(Romans 3:23 NKJV)" We have all fell short of God's glory, no one is perfect but, we should all keep striving to be better than we were the day before. My friends I encourage all of you to share your experiences with those in need and continue to mature and build your character. I will do the same. Remember character is what you do when no one is looking. Try to do the right thing all the time.

Until Next Time!

Long Live The Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment