Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Reputation versus Character - You Must Choose

Warren Buffet once said: "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." This sounds right with the exception it is our character which we should be concerned with not our reputation. I feel the need to address this with everyone and anyone. Recently God has been working on me and preparing me for His purpose. I have been reading a book by Dr. Jamal Bryant, “World War Me” and in the book Dr. Bryant talks about Image and Integrity. My belief is both are important, but image without the integrity is not good. On the other hand integrity without image is good. In Dr. Bryant’s says someone told him about the importance of image and integrity. While heard both image and integrity, he mastered only one. He mastered image. Image can be defined as; the general or public perception of a person place or thing. You see, the image of a person, may not be who a person truly is. Just because a person’s image leads you to perceive them one way doesn’t mean what you perceive is reality.

About three or four years ago R.A. Vernon a pastor in Cleveland, did a sermon on being a Kingdom Man that dealt with Character versus Reputation. In his message Pastor Vernon asked the question; “What kind of man are you?” He stressed that reputation is what people think you are and character is who you are. That has stuck with me, because while I strive to do what is right I fail sometime. I know (Romans 3:23 NASB) states, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” but I have always promised myself I would never be a hypocrite. So if you ask me a question I will be truthful (no matter if it cost me). Over the years I have learned that living a life of integrity is extremely important. God has shown me (through past relationships, and experiences) that anything less causes confusion and pain. More importantly in I Corinthians 14:33, God makes it clear He is not into confusion. By choosing to have a reputation rather than character we mask our true identity. The bottom line is that who you are is defined by what you do when no one is looking. Again reputation is what we show and tell people when they are watching; and if we are concerned with reputation we will show people our best. However character is based on action, it is based on what we do when people can’t see us. First, let me throw out my disclaimer. I am in no way passing judgment nor am I trying to change anyone. God will work in and on you in His time table. I just want to make a distinction between reputation and character.

Choices

Reputation

Character

Drinking alcohol

No, I don’t drink; at certain functions people are always watching.

Yes, I drink socially

Inappropriate language

No, I never use bad words, in front of people I need to impress.

Yes, I may say something when I’m upset

Sex/Adultery

No, not me. I’m not even tempted, but I frequent the strip clubs and love to have sex my wife/significant others close friend.

Yes, I am tempted but I fight to not give in to my temptations

Money

No, I’m not living beyond my means. My Maybach is mine. Excuse me I have to get to my second job.

Yes, I am in control of my finances

God

Yes, I love the Lord but I don’t believe everything in the bible. This is a new time and some of that stuff doesn’t apply now.

Yes, I love the Lord. I make mistakes and if it weren’t for His grace and mercy, I would bust hell wide open.

By the table above Reputation looks good on the outside. The beginning of each answer Reputation gives goes one way only to be contradicted in the ending. When you dig deeper Reputation’s answers reveals issues being masked. Character’s answers are not pretty but they are truthful. Every answer Character gives is consistent.

Ultimately we make decisions and choices not based on our reputation but out of the core of our character. John Wooden, the former UCLA basketball coach said: "Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." In other words, character is who you are when nobody is looking.

I want to share one last thing with you, “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much." (Luke 16:10 NIV). The issue is faithfulness and faithfulness is not just a matter of reputation, it's a matter of character. Nurture your character

Until Next Time,

Long Live The Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment